A Voice From the Dark Space
Download the program here.
March 28, 2011.
Main Space, Perth Institute of Contemporary Art.
This was the first of three concerts at PICA in 2011. Decibel has deliberately chosen the gallery space to stage these concerts to engage with music that is not necessarily tied up with ‘concert’ conventions or specifications. Composers and installation artists have continued to explore different states in art, using the architectural qualities of music and sound to sculpt environments. Whether it is the feeling of a landscape, the sounds produced by the landscape, the effect of the room our environment is crucial to our understanding of music and sound. Tonights program features landscapes that are remembered, imagined, depicted, reflected upon, fictionalised, or actual. Some are electromagnetic, acoustic, visual, created. Techniques of drone, repetition and texture are used to study the dark, the quiet and the mysterious landscape that is the focus of this program of works.
1. Lindsay Vickery: Night Fragments (2011) for mezzo soprano, flute/alto flute, clarinet/bass clarinet, cello, keyboard and electronics [world premiere].
2. Julian Day: Beginning to Collapse (2008)
for alto flute, Bb clarinet, guitar, keyboard, cymbal, cello and backing track [WA premiere].
3. Malcolm Riddoch: Variations on Electroacoustic Feedback (2010) for multiband EQ filter, alto flute and cello.
4. Cornelius Cardew: The Tigers Mind ‘Night Piece’ (1967) for voice, bass guitar, cello, bass clarinet, percussion and electronics. [WA premiere].
5. Alan Lamb: Musicians Coping with Infinity (2011) for infinity machine and mezzo soprano [world premiere].
6. Adam Trainer: Drone Mosaic (2010) for alto flute, bass clarinet, guitar and cello and four backing tracks [world premiere].
7. Cat Hope: Longing (2011) for voice, viola, cello, bass clarinet, percussion and electronics [world premiere].
8. Ennio Morricone/Joan Baez: The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti (1971) arranged by Decibel for mezzo soprano, choir, bass clarinet, bass guitar, guitar, keyboard, drum set, viola and cello.
Special guests:Mezzo Soprano _ Caitlin Cassidy
Keyboard: Joe Stawarz
Viola/violin: Aaron Wyatt
Chorus in Morricone: Rachael Dease, Clare Nina Norelli, Jarryd Bird, Max Vickery