Press and career highlights
“Five out of five stars!” Jonathan Marshall, Limelight, December, 2018.
“Adventurous, inquisitive, challenging. Decibel honour and sabotage modernist traditions.” – Cool Perth Nights, June 2011
"Decibel blows the traditional out of the water",Rosalind Appleby, Limelight September 2017
European Appearances 2017, 2016, 2013, 2012.
Japan Tour 2016.
Australian tours 2017, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2010.
TedX Perth, 2012.
Radio recordings and broadcast on SWR Germany, ABC CLassicFM.
APRA|AMC Award for Excellence in Experimental Music, 2014, 2011
(nominated in 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016).
Arts Hub Performing Arts Awards (finalist) 2012
WAM Awards (finalist) 2014, 2013, 2015, 2016)
- The Complete John Cage Variations Project, 2016 (Mode, USA), CD, (forthcoming).
- The Last Days of Reality, 2018 (Room 40, CD) Music by Lionel Marchetti and Cat Hope
- Tuned Darker, 2014 (Listen:Hear, Aus). LP.
- Still and Moving Lines: the Music of Alvin Lucier, 2013 (Pogus, USA), CD
- Stasis Ecstatic, 2012 (Heartless Robot Productions), LP.
- Disintegration: Mutation, 2010 (hellosQuared), CD.
Decibel New Music Ensemble
Based in Western Australia, Decibel are world leaders in the integration of acoustic instruments and electronics, the interpretation of graphic notations and pioneering digital score formats for composition and performance.
The ensemble has collaborated with composers such as Eliane Radigue, Werner Dafeldecker, Agostino Di Scipio, Alvin Curran, David Toop, Marina Rosenfeld, Lionel Marchetti, Andreas Weixler and Johannes S. Sistermanns and worked with iconic Australian composers Jon Rose, Alan Lamb, Ross Bolleter, Warren Burt, Eric Griswold and Anthony Pateras. Decibel have contributed the Australian premieres of works by Fausto Romitelli, Tristan Murail, Alvin Lucier, Peter Ablinger, Mauricio Kagel and have toured and recorded monograph concerts dedicated to Roger Smalley, Alvin Lucier, John Cage and Giacinto Scelsi.
Decibel have commissioned over 60 new works since their foundation in 2009, have toured Europe and Australia, recorded for ABC Classic FM and SWR German Radio, and released five albums to date on Australian and international labels. The ensemble has developed and commercialised the Decibel ScorePlayer iPad app, a score reading device incorporating mobile score formats and networked coordination performance environments that is sold worldwide.
Decibel are Cat Hope (artistic director, flutes, bass), Lindsay Vickery (reeds), Stuart James (electronics, keyboards, drum kit), Aaron Wyatt (viola), Tristen Parr (cello) and Louise Devenish (percussion).
- Who we are
- Latest News
- The Difficult Commission Project
- Watch Past Performances
- Interviews and Presentations
- Sounding Art
- Electronic Concerto
- After Julia
- The Nature of Sound
- Chance Figurations in Japan
- Peggy Glanville Hicks Address Performance
- Occam - the music of Eliane Radigue
- Inner Space - The Giacinto Scelsi Project
- 2016 program
- Johannes S Sistermanns - a commission
- Grainger's Free Music
- The Complete John Cage Variations Project
- Australian Music Program 2013
- Still and Moving Lines. The music of Alvin Lucier
- Touring Programs >
- Past Programs >
- Film Music
- Decibel ScorePlayer
- The Complete John Cage Variations ScorePlayer