Zubin Kanga and Decibel
Wednesday 5th of October, 7.30pm
Main Music Auditorium, WAAPA, Edith Cowan University
This concert features works for piano, instruments and electronics. Decibel teams up with international virtuoso pianist Zubin Kanga to present new works including one by WAAPA honours student, Amelia Jutilane-Maynard. Also featured are premieres of new works by Lindsay Vickery and Stuart James, as well as Cat Hope's Fourth Estate and Erik Griswald's Action Music. Special Guest appearance by Mezzo-soprano Caitlin Cassidy with Alan Lamb's Infinity Machine.
Decibel are about to sign a contract with Peters Edition for the relase of the Complete John Cage Variations Score Generator, which has been three years in Development. they will be performing the Cage Variations in Japan in December - more soon.
In the first two weeks of November, Decibel members will travel to Hamburg, Germany for the second part of thier DAAD exchange with HfMT academics.
Decibel are taking part in an exchange with composers/musicians/academics from the Hamburg Hochshcule fur Musik und Teatre in Germany. This results in a visit to Australia by Germany academics, and to Germany by Decibel members.
The first visit by the German artists will be celebrated with a concert at Spectrum Project Space as part of Sound Unbound: Music From Visitors, on Friday 29 July at 7.30pm
Jacob Sello, Georg Hadju, Xiao Fu
and members of the Decibel new music ensemble
An evening of electroacoustic works where electronics and acoustic instruments meet.
Entry by donation.
Featuring works by
Jaob Sello, Xiao Fu, George Hadju (World premiere), Lindsay VIckery (world premiere), Cat Hope (world premiere).
The Decibel ScorePlayer is an ipad application that enables network-synchronised scrolling of proportional colour music scores on multiple tablet computers. This is designed to facilitate the reading of scores featuring predominantly graphic notation in rehearsal and performance, and can be used in the creation of new works, as well as the interpretation of existing works.
It now has a new Score Creator and upgraded version of the Decibel ScorePlayer with - embedded audio! You can play this out of the ipad headphone jack for line level audio.
Great for scores that need a 'tape' or 'fixed media' part.
Get the ScoreCreator - a free desktop app to make the score files the Score Player needs, and get the upgraded ScorePlayer here.
Key Features in V1.4.1
- Five scores built in, created by composers in the Decibel new music ensemble, Cat Hope and Lindsay Vickery.
- Ability to change speed of the piece.
- Easy to use slider to move to different parts of the piece for rehearsal purposes.
- View full score or individual parts on different iPads.
- Embed audio into the score file, which can be played out of the iPads line level 3.5mm audio jack **new**
- Uses the tablets own network capabilities for easy Wi Fi connection – hop on to any available network and synch multiple ipads.
- Easy network check to see who is on the network.
- Modular structure enables easy updates, with recent updates to include more scores, upload facilities, shuffle function, audio output and OSC communication.
- an instruction panel for each piece to assist decoding graphic notations, as well as easy to use instructions on uploading your own scores.
December 6, Luna Outdoor, Leederville, WA, 8.30pm
Buy tickets here.
Produced by Blessed State Films.
There is a short commentary by Cat Hope on the filmhere.
No Encore is a documentary by Kenta McGrath, shot during a Decibel tour of the Southwest of Western Australia in 2011. Over a week, through a series of modest concerts and workshops, Decibel share their art and art-making with the small communities they visit. Some locals show enthusiasm, curiosity and open-mindedness, while others are confused, irritated or try not to fall asleep.
A Fellini-esque improvisation workshop held by the group treads a fine line between art and absurdity. One concert is effectively overrun by children who are let off their leashes by their bemused parents, steering the performance towards an unexpected path. During the tour some of the locals make no secret in ridiculing Decibelʼs art, and Decibel, in turn, make no secret in ridiculing theirs.
At turns insightful, bizarre and humorous, No Encore is a road movie and music documentary: a contemplation of the validity of forms of self expression; whatʼs meaningful, meaningless and whatʼs in between; and what happens when art is displaced from its comfortable natural habitat.
Not to be missed!
Review of the Percy Grainger Free Music Project performance/lecture at the Melbourne Grainger Museum
A review by Andrew Batt-Rawden of the After Julia concert.
Some photos from the concert
Follow these links for more information - on the After Julia concert featuring Julia Gillard at the live to ABCFM New Music Up Late performance on the 8th of November, the Carriageworks performance of The Moment of Disappearance on the 6th of November, Percy Grainger's Free Music performance at the Grainger Museum on the 9th of November and the Giacinto Scelsi program at the Melbourne Recital Centre on the 10th of November.
On the 16 dicembre 2013 at the L'Asilo theatre Decibel New Music Ensemble was joined by Fabrizio Elvetico (elettronica), Antonio Raia (sax), Tommaso Rossi (flutes), Dario Sanfilippo (elettronica) and dancers Alessandra Cozzolino, Giulia Ferrato, Chiara Orefice as part of the GEOGRAFIE DEL SUONO series for the Complete John Cage Variations project.
Here is some video from that performance put together by L'Asilo.
Decibel news updates
Subscribe below to get content rich updates in your inbox when we have events happening. No spam!
- Who we are
- Latest News
- The Difficult Commission Project
- Watch Past Performances
- Interviews and Presentations
- Sounding Art
- Electronic Concerto
- After Julia
- The Nature of Sound
- Chance Figurations in Japan
- Peggy Glanville Hicks Address Performance
- Occam - the music of Eliane Radigue
- Inner Space - The Giacinto Scelsi Project
- 2016 program
- Johannes S Sistermanns - a commission
- Grainger's Free Music
- The Complete John Cage Variations Project
- Australian Music Program 2013
- Still and Moving Lines. The music of Alvin Lucier
- Touring Programs >
- Past Programs >
- Film Music
- Decibel ScorePlayer
- The Complete John Cage Variations ScorePlayer